Friday, July 20, 2007

So What's the Skinny on the Wide?

I have hips and thighs that have previously been referred to as belonging to a gymnast.
So you can imagine that when the skinny jeans appeared about 2 years ago, I cringed. But then I tried to have an open mind. What kind of self proclaimed semi fashionista does not even give the skinny jeans a try? Come on now…
.
So off I went, optimism in one hand, credit card in another. Things took a turn for the worst when, after wriggling into a pair, I turned to look at myself. *Gasp*. I did not think my thighs were this huge. What I had been trying to hide for years was now magnified in all its curvaceous glory…not always a good thing (unless you can appreciate the look of the stuffed sausage).
.
And that’s when I made the executive decision to abolish all attempts to skinny. Starting today, I would walk with my head held high, ignoring the size 0’s with their ankles tight in denim. This was a trend that I would not even attempt to rock.
.
So life went on. I went about my daily routine when suddenly, one day, I caught a glimpse of Kate Moss in a magazine. Could it be? Could she be going against the tide. What was she wearing? Why were the jeans so high? And why, oh why, were they so wide? Yes, I know I know, every fashion magazine, blog, tv show has already penned Kate Moss a fashion icon, claiming she is avant gardiste. But it is true, she was ahead of the time. Case in point: the wide trouser leg jeans will be everywhere come fall….they have already made their mark in most stores for summer.
.
The advantage of the wide leg trouser is its overall flatter of the average “I try to diet but I really like curly fries and/or Lidnt chocolate, I work out once in a while, but sometimes would rather read a magazine, and you know what, I am happy the way I am” women.
It does not draw the attention to the thighs and if you keep them long, they will lengthen the leg.

Tips:
#1- The wide leg looks better in a darker shade.
.
#2-Oh and can we also make sure that there is a bit of spandex in the pant and that the denim is of a super thin cotton quality. This will help in the comfort factor.
.
#3-Wear them with a platform shoe for a more slimming effect, extra height and extra oomph.
.
#4-Try and avoid the long tunic over wide leg look or I promise you will look like a tent. Proportion is key here. If the pants are big, the top is small and vice versa.
.
The Do's:

The "I Am Not There Yet":

Last But Not Least-Don'ts:

A picture says a thousand words...oh la la...

Get your Wide Leg/Denim At:

Prett much any retailer at your local mall.

1 comment:

Frasier said...

I always wince when I see the last 2 pictures !!
I am 5.2 so I may take my time with this trend !! its a little overwhelming to think of wearing high waisted pants when you have a short torso!!